New to motogp.com?Register here
Liqui Moly Intact GP's Tom Lüthi set the pace on Friday morning in the Moto2™ class, despite being one of a handful of riders to crash out in difficult conditions at the Gran Premio de Europa. The Swiss veteran was the only rider to dip beneath the 1:49 barrier in FP1, his 1:48.975 a whole 14 seconds slower than the intermediate class lap record around the Circuit Ricardo Tormo.
Moto2™ rookie Hector Garzo (FlexBox HP40) put in a strong showing to sit just a tenth adrift of Lüthi in second, with Inde Aspar Team Moto2's Aron Canet three tenths adrift of his compatriot in third. Canet's Aspar teammate Hafizh Syahrin topped the timesheets during the early stages before suffering a nasty highside out of the final corner, which resulted in a trip to the medical centre. The Malaysian eventually dropping down to fourth in the standings.
World Championship challenger Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) and man of the moment Sam Lowes (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) sit fifth and sixth respectively, with Federal Oil Gresini's Nicolo Bulega less than a tenth back on both men in seventh. Italtrans Racing Team's Enea Bastianini had a close call during the session, making an impressive save at Turn 14, and ended up eighth. Simone Corsi (MV Agusta Forward Racing) and Lorenzo Baldassarri (FlexBox HP40) rounded out the top 10.
Support for this video player will be discontinued soon.
Round 13: Moto2™ FP1 at the European Grand Prix
1. Tom Lüthi (Liqui Moly Intact GP) – 1:48.975
2. Hector Garzo (Flexbox HP 40) + 0.128
3. Aron Canet (Inde Aspar Team Moto2) + 0.421
4. Hafizh Syahrin (Inde Aspar Team Moto2) + 0.604
5. Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.620
6. Sam Lowes (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.650
7. Nicolo Bulega (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) + 0.862
8. Enea Bastianini (Italtrans Racing Team) + 0.902
9. Simone Corsi (MV Agusta Forward Racing) + 0.925
10. Lorenzo Baldassarri (Flexbox HP 40) + 0.960
4 weeks ago
4 weeks ago