New to motogp.com?Register here
Double MotorLand master Jaume Masia (Leopard Racing) kicked off the Gran Premio de Europa by topping a wet Moto3™ FP1 with a 1:49.840, two tenths clear of second place Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse). Kaito Toba (Red Bull KTM Ajo) completed the top three on a cold, wet and windy Friday morning in Valencia.
The tricky conditions saw a few riders hit the deck. Yuki Kunii (Honda Team Asia), Tony Arbolino (Rivacold Snipers Team), Jason Dupasquier (CarXpert PrüstelGP) and long-time session leader Suzuki were the first riders to crash, with Barry Baltus (CarXpert PrüstelGP), Khairul Idham Pawi (Petronas Sprinta Racing) and Championship leader Albert Arenas (Valresa Aspar Team Moto3) going down too. The latter high-sided on the exit of Turn 4 but thankfully, despite a heavy crash, the Spaniard was ok. Alonso Lopez (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) and Max Kofler (CIP Green Power) also crashed at the end of the session, with Dupasquier and Pawi heading to the medical centre for check-ups.
Lopez and Arbolino rounded out the top five in the opening lightweight class Free Practice session of the weekend, what will the weather bring for FP2? Tune in at 13:35 local time (GMT+1) to find out.
1. Jaume Masia (Leopard Racing) – 1:49.840
2. Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.294
3. Kaito Toba (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.405
4. Alonso Lopez (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0.505
5. Tony Arbolino (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.682
6. Andrea Migno (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.809
7. John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 1.330
8. Niccolo Antonelli (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 1.375
9. Celestino Vietti (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 1.414
10. Gabriel Rodrigo (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) + 1.438
4 years ago