New to motogp.com?Register here
SKY Racing Team VR46's Marco Bezzecchi leads the Moto2™ class into qualifying at the Gran Premio Motul de la Comunitat Valenciana following a bruising FP3 session. The Italian set the fastest lap of the weekend but the main talking point was the heavy crash suffered by EG 0,0 Marc VDS' Sam Lowes, with the Briton's Championship challenge now looking to be in doubt after being taken to the medical centre.
Moto2™ title contender Lowes suffers horrible crash in FP3
The 30-year-old got into a nasty tank-slapper coming through Turn 9 before his Kalex eventually let go, suffering a horrible looking whack to his head and wrist when the bike dug into the gravel. He walked away gingerly but was holding his wrist. He wasn't the only one to crash out too, with Tennor American Racing's Joe Roberts and Red Bull KTM Ajo's Jorge Martin also crashing out, both thankfully walking away unscathed.
At the top of the timesheets though was Beezzecchi, with the now 22-year-old, after celebrating his birthday on Friday, continuing his charge towards a Circuit Ricardo Tormo double. Impressive Spaniards Hector Garzo (FlexBox HP40) and Marcos Ramirez (Tennor American Racing) completed a top three split by just 0.025 of a second.
Round 14: Moto2™ FP3 at the Valencia Grand Prix
MB Conveyors Speed Up's Fabio Di Giannantonio ended up fourth, just ahead of Lowes who held onto his place inside the top five despite his crash late in the session. Jorge Navarro (MB Conveyors Speed Up) is sixth on the combined leaderboard, followed by Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) and Bo Bendsneyder). Rounding out a top ten seperated by less than a quarter of a second is Nicolo Bulega (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) and Marcel Schrötter (Liqui Moly Intact GP).
Combined Moto2™ top ten:
1. Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) – 1:34.698
2. Hector Garzo (Flexbox HP40) + 0.013
3. Marcos Ramirez (Tennor American Racing) + 0.025
4. Fabio DiGiannantonio (MB Conveyors Speed Up) + 0.090
5. Sam Lowes (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.128
6. Jorge Navarro (MB Conveyors Speed Up) + 0.157
7. Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.182
8. Bo Bendsneyder (NTS RW Racing GP) + 0.202
9. Nicolo Bulega (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) + 0.220
10. Marcel Schrotter (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 0.232