7 months ago
New to motogp.com?Register here
Repsol Honda Team’s Marc Marquez set a 2:00.941 in MotoGP™ FP1 to set the pace at beginning of the Monster Energy British Grand Prix, but the eight-time World Champion suffered a huge Turn 2 crash at the end of the session that brought out the red flags. The Spaniard thankfully walked away from the 170mph off and is ok, as the number 93 holds a 0.250s advantage over second place Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini). World Championship leader Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) sits P3 after the opening session, 0.3s off Marquez’ pace.
Massive 274kph crash for Marquez brings out red flags in FP1
Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda Team) had a solid FP1 to claim P4, with Ducati Lenovo Team’s Jack Miller rounding out the top five. The riders, after the marshals cleared the track after Marquez’s crash, headed out for the remaining couple of minutes but no one was able to set a lap time, such is the size of Silverstone’s stunning ribbon of asphalt. Practice starts were on the agenda before the premier class head out for FP2 at 14:10 local time (GMT+1).
On his MotoGP™ debut outing, home hero Jake Dixon (Petronas Yamaha SRT) set a very respectable 2:03.939 to sit under three seconds away from Marquez.
1. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) – 2:00.941
2. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) + 0.250
3. Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.360
4. Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda Team) + 0.395
5. Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.468
6. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) + 0.481
7. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.655
8. Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.842
9. Johann Zarco (Pramac Racing) + 0.854
10. Alex Marquez (LCR Honda Castrol) + 0.929