Can Lorenzo take back-to-back opening rounds wins for Yamaha for the first time since 1990?
The Gran Premio Motul de la República Argentina begins at 16:00 Local Time and will last 25-laps.
- Marc Marquez, who won in Argentina two years ago, starts from pole for the third successive year at the Termas de Rio Hondo circuit.
- Valentino Rossi, the winner in Argentina last year, starts from second place on the grid. Rossi has finished in the top five at the last twenty-three MotoGP™ races.
- Jorge Lorenzo takes the final place on the front row. Lorenzo has never opened the season with victories in both of the opening two races of the year in the MotoGP™ class and no Yamaha rider has won the opening two races of the year in the premier-class since Wayne Rainey in 1990.
- Heading the second row of the grid is Dani Pedrosa, who missed the race in Argentina last year after undergoing an operation to cure his arm-pump problems.
- Andrea Dovizioso, the second place finisher last year in Argentina, starts from fifth place on the grid.
- Taking the final place on the second row is Andrea Iannone who has failed to finish four times in the last five MotoGP™ races.
- Heading the third row is the highest placed Suzuki rider on the grid, Maverick Viñales.
- The highest placed of the satellite riders on the grid is Hector Barbera in eighth place, equalling his qualifying result from the first race of the year in Qatar.
- In ninth place on the grid is Cal Crutchlow who finished third last year in Argentina, which was his only podium of 2015.
- Starting together in 10th and 11th places on the grid are brothers Pol and Aleix Espargaro.
- Taking the final place on the fourth row is Bradley Smith who has scored points in the last twenty-five successive races.
- Loris Baz starts the race from 13th place on the grid – his best qualifying position so far in his MotoGP career.