Brad Binder is the first South African to lead a championship since 1981, over ten years before his birth.
Catch up with who has historically gone well in Austin and could be a threat come race day.
- Brad Binder leads the way in the Moto3™ championship classification after the first two races of the year – the first South African rider to lead a grand prix championship across all classes since Jon Ekerold led the 350cc title chase after the opening two races of the 1981 season. Binder retired from the race two years ago in Austin and last year he finished fifth.
- Niccolo Antonelli has crashed out of the Moto3™ race in Austin in each of the last three years.
- On his first visit to Austin last year, Jorge Navarro crashed out of the Moto3™ race on the tenth lap when in the group battling for a podium finish.
- Fabio Quartararo finished second last year in Austin, in just his second grand prix start in the Moto3™ class.
- Only two riders currently competing in the Moto3™ class have had podium finishes in the previous three years that the grand prix event has been held in Austin - second place finishes for Romano Fenati in 2014 and Fabio Quartararo last year.
- Enea Bastianini just missed out on a podium last year when he lost out to Vazquez in the sprint to the line by less than two tenths of a second.
- In Argentina, Joan Mir finished fifth in what was only his third start in grand prix racing.