New to motogp.com?Register here
Marcel Schrötter (Dynavolt Intact GP) started the Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas on the front foot in the Moto2™ class to top FP1 with a 2:10.853, enough to place him 0.485 clear of teammate Tom Lüthi.
Schrötter set his best time on his final flying lap as the riders came back on track for a three-minute dash after the Red Flags had come out for a crash involving Xavi Cardelus (Sama Qatar Angel Nieto Team), the Spaniard was taken to the medical centre for a checkup after a heavy fall at Turn 19.
Jorge Navarro (Beta Tools Speed Up) had a good opening session to complete the top three, 0.548 splitting the Spaniard to Schrötter, with Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) jumping up to fourth on his final flying lap. The Italian pushing Sam Lowes (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) back to fifth as 0.706 separated the fastest five riders in FP1.
Dimas Ekky Pratama (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia) crashed in the early stages at Turn 2, with Iker Lecuona (American Racing KTM) crashing midway through FP1 at Turn 15 – riders ok. Sama Qatar Angel Nieto Team rider Jake Dixon then crashed as the riders went back out for the last three minutes of the session. The British rider suffered a heavy impact after his KTM spat him off into Turn 12, with Dixon going to the medical centre for a checkup.
The Moto2™ riders will be back out for FP2 at 15:10 local time (GMT-5).
1. Marcel Schrötter (Dynavolt Intact GP) – 2:10.853
2. Thomas Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) + 0.485
3. Jorge Navarro (Beta Tools Speed Up) + 0.548
4. Luca Marini (Sky Racing Team VR46) + 0.649
5. Sam Lowes (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) + 0.706
6. Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.739
7. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 0.928
8. Xavi Vierge (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 1.105
9. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 1.166
10. Mattia Pasini (Flexbox HP 40) + 1.194
Click here for the full results!