New to motogp.com?Register here
Petronas Yamaha SRT’s Fabio Quartararo kicked off his home GP in fine style as the Frenchman topped the times in FP1 at the Shark Helmets Grand Prix de France with the only 1:31 of the session, with the two Ducati Team riders of Andrea Dovizioso and Danilo Petrucci inside the top three.
Free Practice Friday could be crucial in terms of automatic Q2 places as the weather in Le Mans remains a huge question mark, and boy did we get served a treat in FP1. Everyone inside the top ten, bar fourth fastest Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP), fifth place Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) and sixth quickest Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing), put in the fresh rubber to get those banker laps under the belt if the weather takes a turn for the worse.
FREE: Rossi's chain flies off in FP1!
Quartararo’s 1:31.986 was 0.127 faster than Dovi, with Petrucci 0.207 back as the top seven were split by less than three tenths. Viñales sits 0.030 ahead of Championship leader Marquez after FP1 with Espargaro impressing on the medium rear tyre to put his KTM 6th.
Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) finished just 0.252 away from P1 in seventh as Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar), home hero Johann Zarco (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) and Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) – ‘The Doctor’ encountering a chain issue midway through the session – complete the top ten.
Jorge Lorenzo (Repsol Honda Team) crashed early on at Turn 8, with teammate Marquez producing another miraculous save at the exact same point later in the session.
Marquez produces wonder save in Le Mans
Don’t miss FP2 from France at 14:10 local time!
1. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) 1:31.986
2. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) + 0.127
3. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati Team) + 0.207
4. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.217
5. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) + 0.247
6. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.251
7. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) + 0.252
8. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.640
9. Johann Zarco (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.738
10. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.774
Click here for the full results!
MotoGP™ FP1 in France: Round 5 is GO!
2 years ago
5 years ago
5 years ago