The crucial FP3 session concluded for Moto2™ at the Gran Premio D’Italia Oakley, with Augusto Fernandez (FLEXBOX HP 40) showing a strong hand at the top of the timesheets. However, it was a disaster for his teammate, Lorenzo Baldassarri, who once again found himself going through Q1, after suffering a technical problem and only finishing 18th.
It was a frantic FP3, which saw riders elevate up the order in comparison to their Friday performances. From 20th to the top, it was Augusto Fernandez who topped the session with the fastest lap of the weekend so far. Tom Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) placed a strong second place at a circuit he has yet to win at, whilst completing the top three was Alex Marquez (Estrella Galicia 0,0). Fourth belonged to Enea Bastianini (Italtrans Racing Team) who was top Italian, whilst Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) rounded out the top five.
Behind the leading five riders, Jorge Navarro (MB Conveyors Speed Up) is looking to keep his podium run going in 2019, whilst Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) slipped to seventh after topping Friday’s sessions. 2017 Moto2™ race winner at Mugello, Mattia Pasini, was a solid eighth despite slipping from third on Friday, whilst Marcel Schrötter (Dynavolt Intact GP) and Fabio Di Giannantonio (MB Conveyors Speed Up) complete the top ten.
Joining them directly in Q2, Italtrans Racing Team’s Andrea Locatelli, Sam Lowes (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) – who had a big crash at Arrabbiata Two, 2008 125cc GP winner at Mugello Simone Corsi (Tasca Racing Scuderia Moto2) and Tetsuta Nagashima (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team).
Notable names not straight into Q2 are Xavi Vierge (Estrella Galicia 0,0), Lorenzo Baldassarri (FLEXBOX HP 40) and Red Bull KTM Ajo duo of Brad Binder and Jorge Martin.
For full results of combined Free Practices, click here!
Combined top 10:
1. Augusto Fernandez (FlexBox HP40) – 1:51.625
2. Tom Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) + 0.009
3. Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.104
4. Enea Bastianini (Italtrans Racing Team) + 0.153
5. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) + 0.189
6. Jorge Navarro (MB Conveyors Speed Up) + 0.231
7. Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.294
8. Mattia Pasini (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.410
9. Marcel Schrötter (Dynavolt Intact GP) + 0.425
10. Fabio Di Giannantonio (MB Conveyors Speed Up) + 0.526