After Moto3™ FP1 at the Motul Grand Prix of Japan, Championship leader Lorenzo Dalla Porta (Leopard Racing) led the way with a 1:57.240, 0.124 faster than main title rival Aron Canet (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team), with Marcos Ramirez (Leopard Racing) completing the top three.
A grey and cloudy morning was the scene at the Twin Ring Motegi for the lightweight class and, despite emerging at the summit come the end of the session, Dalla Porta’s FP1 ended with a strange crash at Turn 5. The Italian was perfectly ok as Canet slotted his KTM into P2 ahead of Ramirez to split the Leopard duo.
What a lucky escape for @dallap48! ????— MotoGP™ ???????? (@MotoGP) October 18, 2019
The @Le0pardRacing rider loses control as he looks over his shoulder, almost colliding with team-mate @24Marcosramirez! ????#JapaneseGP ???????? pic.twitter.com/mYC1dfMQ71
Tony Arbolino (VNE Snipers) and John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) rounded out the top five in the opening Free Practice session of the weekend, which saw the top 13 covered by less than a second.
Moto3™ FP2 kicks off at 13:15 local time (GMT+9) – tune in!
1. Lorenzo Dalla Porta (Leopard Racing) – 1:57.240
2. Aron Canet (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0.124
3. Marcos Ramirez (Leopard Racing) + 0.210
4. Tony Arbolino (VNE Snipers) + 0.321
5. John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.383
6. Jaume Masia (Mugen Race) + 0.518
7. Andrea Migno (Mugen Race) + 0.712
8. Niccolo Antonelli (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.825
9. Jakub Kornfeil (Redox PrüstelGP) + 0.866
10. Sergio Garcia (Estrella Galicia 0,0) + 0.888
Click here for the full results!