Jorge Navarro (Speed Up Racing) topped Day 1 of testing in the desert at Losail International Circuit, with the Spaniard putting in a 1:59.168 to pull two tenths clear of Xavi Vierge (Petronas Sprinta Racing). Enea Bastianini (Italtrans Racing Team) locked out the top three just 0.021 further back, with American Joe Roberts a similar gap behind in fourth after an impressive showing for the American Racing Team rider.
The last three-day test before racing begins got underway in full daylight at Losail, with the intermediate class racing ahead of MotoGP™ and therefore needing different track conditions. And Navarro flew the flag for experience, as did Tom Lüthi (Liqui Moly Intact GP) in Jerez as the veterans start to show their colours. Vierge is another expected to be strong, with Bastianini the sophomore on point at the second test begins.
Tetsuta Nagashima (Red Bull KTM Ajo) completed the top five, with another impressive 2019 rookie for close company: teammate Jorge Martin. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team), another expected to challenge in 2020, was seventh.
Marcel Schrötter (Liqui Moly Intact GP), Luca Marini (Sky Racing Team VR46) and Nicolo Bulega (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) completed the top ten, pushing out Jerez’s impressive rookie Aron Canet (Aspar Team) just behind in an interesting mix of pacesetters.
The top ten:
1. Jorge Navarro - (Speed Up Racing) - 1:59.168
2. Xavi Vierge - (Petronas Sprinta Racing) - +0.232
3. Enea Bastianini - (Italtrans Racing Team) - +0.253
4. Joe Roberts - (American Racing) - +0.282
5. Tetsuta Nagashima - (Red Bull KTM Ajo) - +0.300
6. Jorge Martín - (Red Bull KTM Ajo) - +0.379
7. Remy Gardner - (Onexox TKKR SAG Team) - +0.407
8. Marcel Schrötter - (Liqui Moly Intact GP) - +0.457
9. Luca Marini - (SKY Racing Team VR46) - +0.489
10. Nicolo Bulega - (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) - +0.557
Stay tuned on Saturday for more! And click HERE for full results.