New to motogp.com?Register here
SKY Racing Team VR46's Celestino Vietti remains fastest in the Moto3™ class after the opening two sessions of the BMW M Grand Prix of Styria after setting the fastest lap we've seen around the Red Bull Ring since qualifying for the lightweight class in 2019.
SIC58 Squadra Corse's Tatsuki Suzuki claimed top spot in FP2 but it was only good enough for third overall with Vietti three tenths clear of Championship leader Albert Arenas (Valresa Aspar Team) in the fight at the top of the timesheets.
Vietti had an interesting morning with his fastest lap coming at a cost, as he crashed out unhurt at Turn 1 just moments after jumping to the top of the order. His 1:35.997 was faster than anything we saw at the Austrian GP last weekend and an impressive marker from the KTM man, meaning he sits 0.306 seconds clear of Arenas.
Suzuki now sits third overall thanks to his FP2-topping lap time. Now sitting fourth overall is Kömmerling Gresini Moto3's Gabriel Rodrigo with the Argentinian also suffering a run through the gravel trap at Turn 4 in the closing stages of FP2.
Rivacold Snipers Team's Tony Arbolino was another rider to improve in FP2 and takes the final place inside the top five at the close of Friday's action. Jeremy Alcoba (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) and Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) dropped down to sixth and seventh on the combined timesheets after failing to improve in the afternoon.
Jaume Masia (Leopard Racing) and John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) both crashed without injury in FP1 and both found three tenths in FP2 to sit eight and ninth overall, before Deniz Oncu (Red Bull KTM Tech 3) completes the top ten.
Top 10 combined:
1. Celestino Vietti (SKY Racing Team VR46) – 1:35.997
2. Albert Arenas (Valresa Aspar Team) + 0.306
3. Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.401
4. Gabriel Rodrigo (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) + 0.412
5. Tony Arbolino (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.461
6. Jeremy Alcoba (Kömmerling Gresini Moto3) + 0.485
7. Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.526
8. John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.555
9. Jaume Masia (Leopard Racing) + 0.578
10. Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Tech 3) + 0.593
3 months ago
2 years ago