Petronas Yamaha SRT boss Razlan Razali has well and truly squashed growing rumours that outgoing Ducati Team rider Andrea Dovizioso is being considered for the second Yamaha M1 inside the satellite squad, as a deal with nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) continues to stall.
Growing rumours over the past week have stated that The Doctor, despite saying over the past few weeks he would continue in the premier class in 2021, was, in fact, considering a shock retirement and Dovizioso could swoop in to claim the vacant place.
However, despite a deal not yet having been confirmed between Petronas Yamaha SRT and Valentino Rossi, with official confirmation not due before this weekend's Gran Premio Lenovo di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini as had also been touted, Razali has rubbished reports Dovizioso is being lined-up as a Plan B option.
"Setting the record straight, we are not considering Dovi at all for 2021", said the Malaysian on social media last night, meaning the much-reported agreement with Rossi is still their number one priority.
The 41-year-old has previously said that he is "99% certain" to ride for Petronas Yamaha SRT in 2021, and that still looks like being the case with a delay in the announcement largely down to three-way contract negotiations between the Italian, the Japanese factory and the Malaysian premier class outfit.
Make sure you stay tuned to motogp.com throughout September to be the first to hear when The Doctor is officially confirmed for MotoGP™ in 2021, plus don't miss Thursday's Press Conference where the Italian will be present ahead of his home round and where he will no doubt be asked for an update on the current negotiations.