Sam Lowes (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) kicked off the Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya in fine style by taking Moto2™ FP1 P1 on Friday morning. The British rider set a 1:44.122 to lead Championship leader Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) by two tenths, with Tetsuta Nagashima (Red Bull KTM Ajo) over half a second off Lowes’ pace in third.
Class rookie Aron Canet (Inde Aspar Team Moto2) made a good start to his weekend by finishing fourth in FP1, the Spaniard was just 0.007 off Nagashima, with fellow Speed Up rider Fabio Di Giannantonio (HDR Heidrun Speed Up) also having a positive start to the Catalan GP – P5 for the Italian. The top 14 were within a second in FP1 and with Lowes half a second faster than Nagashima in P3, that means half a second covers P3 to P14 – it’s close again in the Moto2™ class.
Tune in for Moto2™ FP2 at 15:10 local time (GMT+2) from Barcelona – can anyone get the better of Lowes on Day 1?
1. Sam Lowes (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) – 1:44.122
2. Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.200
3. Tetsuta Nagashima (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.508
4. Aron Canet (Inde Aspar Team Moto2) + 0.515
5. Fabio Di Giannantonio (HDR Heidrun Speed Up) + 0.587
6. Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.643
7. Jorge Martin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.734
8. Augusto Fernandez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) + 0.736
9. Bo Bendsneyder (NTS RW Racing GP) + 0.741
10. Nicolo Bulega (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) + 0.814
Click here for the full results!