Petronas Yamaha SRT’s Franco Morbidelli was the only rider in the 1:32s in MotoGP™ Warm Up at the SHARK Helmets Grand Prix de France, the Italian beating second place Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) by 0.260 seconds, with Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) completing the top three.
The start of the session was a disaster for Viñales though, the Spaniard crashing unhurt at Turn 10 on his out-lap as another cold morning greeted the premier class riders at Le Mans. Then, Bradley Smith (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) hit the deck at Turn 8 – the British rider up and ok but it was more proof of how tricky the conditions were on Sunday morning.
Danilo Petrucci (Ducati Team) will launch from his first MotoGP™ front row since the 2019 Italian GP, the winner of that race was fourth quickest in Warm Up. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory) had a run into the gravel at the end of the session but cemented P5 ahead of the French GP. Championship leader and polesitter Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) finished P8 in front of 5,000 French fans, second in the Championship Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) continues to struggle in P14.
Alex Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) was another crasher in the session, the reigning Moto2™ World Champion suffering a small tip off at Turn 12 with just over a minute to go.
13:00 local time (GMT+2) is when lights will go out for the latest 2020 MotoGP™ battle, what does France have in store? You don’t want to miss any of the action!
1. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) - 1:32.869
2. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.260
3. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) + 0.326
4. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati Team) + 0.430
5. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.473
6. Alex Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) + 0.540
7. Johann Zarco (Esponsorama Racing) + 0.563
8. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.568
9. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) + 0.705
10. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) + 0.718