Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) took top billing in MotoGP™ FP1 at the Barwa Grand Prix of Qatar as the premier class riders returned to the fold at a very warm Losail International Circuit. The Italian’s 1:54.921 was enough to see off Aprilia Racing Team Gresini’s Aleix Espargaro by 0.125s, with Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) – despite a crash at Turn 4 – completing the first top three of the season.
New Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP recruit Fabio Quartararo made sure it was two Yamahas inside the top four, the Frenchman was 0.292s shy of his former teammate’s time, with World Champion Joan Mir slotting his Team Suzuki Ecstar machine into P5 on his final lap of FP1.
Johann Zarco (Pramac Racing), Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda Team) and Enea Bastianini (Esponsorama Racing) went down unhurt in FP1, both Zarco and Miller crashed at Turn 4.
The MotoGP™ riders will be back on track for FP2 at 20:00 local time (GMT+3) – tune in!
1. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) – 1:54.921
2. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) + 0.125
3. Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.191
4. Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.292
5. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.334
6. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.388
7. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.432
8. Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.444
9. Valentino Rossi (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.498
10. Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.824