Italtrans Racing Team’s Joe Roberts left it late to take Moto2™ Warm Up honours at the Barwa Grand Prix of Qatar, the American beating Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) by 0.059s thanks to a 2:00.332 lap in blustering conditions. Remy Gardner (Red Bull KTM Ajo) completed the top three, the Australian a couple of tenths off Roberts’ best lap.
Somkiat Chantra (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia) and Jorge Navarro (MB Conveyors Speed Up) were the riders who also sat in the top five, but there was some big news elsewhere. Polesitter and pre-race favourite Sam Lowes (Elf Marc VDS Racing Team) crashed midday way through the session at the notorious Turn 2, the British rider was thankfully straight up on his feet and headed straight back to his box. Marcel Schrötter (Liqui Moly Intact GP) also crashed unhurt during Warm Up.
Moto2™’s opening race of 2021 kicks off at 18:20 local time (GMT+3) – don’t miss it!
1. Joe Roberts (Italtrans Racing Team) – 2:00.332
2. Marco Bezzecchi (SKY Racing Team VR46) + 0.059
3. Remy Gardner (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.203
4. Somkiat Chantra (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia) + 0.310
5. Jorge Navarro (MB Conveyors Speed Up) + 0.312
6. Fabio Di Giannantonio (Federal Oil Gresini Moto2) + 0.344
7. Cameron Beaubier (American Racing) + 0.360
8. Augusto Fernandez (Elf Marc VDS Racing Team) + 0.373
9. Marcel Schrötter (Liqui Moly Intact GP) + 0.395
10. Raul Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.478