Darryn Binder (Petronas Sprinta Racing) got his weekend off to the perfect start at the Bitci Motorrad Austrian Grand Prix as the fastest man in the Moto3™, with the South African’s 1:36.215 giving him more than a tenth to spare over Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team), while Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) completed the top three.
The perfect conditions meant it was a relatively incident-free session, though Acosta found himself riding through the gravel as the Championship leader sat atop the timesheets as riders began their final flying laps. As the rookie Spaniard returned to the track, his name had tumbled to third overall with Binder and Fenati both going faster in quick succession.
Last week’s poleman Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Tech 3) moved into P4 thanks to his late time attack, getting the Turk’s weekend off to a solid start, who sits just ahead of rookie Izan Guevara (Santander Consumer GASGAS).
The lightweight class will be back on track this afternoon at 13:15 (CET) for FP2. Make sure you tune in then.
1. Darryn Binder (Petronas Sprinta Racing) – 1:36.215
2. Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0.105
3. Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.118
4. Deniz Öncü (Red Bull KTM Tech3) + 0.184
5. Izan Guevara (Santander Consumer GASGAS) + 0.198
6. Stefano Nepa (BOE Owlride) + 0.201
7. Dennis Foggia (Leopard Racing) + 0.214
8. Sergio Garcia (Santander Consumer GASGAS) + 0.320
9. John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) + 0.391
10. Ayumu Sasaki (Red Bull KTM Tech3) + 0.405