The tables were turned for the Pons Racing 40 riders in FP2 for the FIM Enel MotoE™ World Cup field at the SHARK Grand Prix de France, in more ways than one. Mattia Casadei had the edge over his team-mate Jordi Torres in an opening practice one-two at Le Mans, but it was the Spaniard who was fastest overall after two sessions had been completed. Torres clocked a 1:44.288 with the chequered flag out to go to the top, while Casadei failed to set a time after a mid-session crash. The incident triggered a red flag and while the Italian is okay, he faces Q1 later this afternoon.
Matteo Ferrari had been quickest until he was dislodged by Torres, but the Felo Gresini MotoE™ rider is safely into Q2 thanks to his 1:44.402. Also joining him there are Kevin Zannoni (Ongetta SIC58 Squadracorse), Xavi Cardelus (Avintia Esponsorama Racing), World Cup leader Eric Granado (LCR E-Team), Niccolo Canepa (WithU GRT RNF MotoE™ Team), Xavi Fores (Octo Pramac MotoE™), and Dominique Aegerter (Dynavolt Intact GP MotoE™).
Aegerter got into the top eight cut-off with a 1:44.833 on his last lap, bumping Alex Escrig (Tech3 E-Racing) back to ninth and into Q1. Try as he might, with a number of personal best sectors in the closing stages, Hikari Okubo (Avant Ajo MotoE™) could not lift himself above 10th. Miquel Pons (LCR E-Team) crashed at the end of the session but is also okay.
Who wins the battle for pole position? Find out today from 16:50 (GMT +2), when Q1 gets underway.
MotoE™ Combined FP1/FP2 Top 8:
1. Jordi Torres (Pons Racing 40) – 1:44.288
2. Matteo Ferrari (Felo Gresini MotoE) + 0.114
3. Kevin Zannoni (Ongetta SIC58 Squadracorse) + 0.141
4. Xavi Cardelus (Avintia Esponsorama Racing) + 0.220
5. Eric Granado (LCR E-Team) + 0.462
6. Niccolo Canepa (WithU GRT RNF MotoE Team) + 0.487
7. Xavi Fores (OCTO Pramac MotoE) + 0.493
8. Dominique Aegerter (Dynavolt Intact GP MotoE) + 0.545