The GASGAS Aspar Team’s Jake Dixon felt right at home on Friday morning at the Silverstone Circuit, setting the fastest lap in Moto2™ FP1 at the Monster Energy British Grand Prix. The Briton was on top for the vast majority of the 40-minute session, going as quick as a 2:05.409 with the chequered flag out. Still, it was a close-run thing, with Augusto Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) having reset the fastest lap just moments earlier, and finishing up second in the classification on a 1:05.475.
Aron Canet (Flexbox HP40), Alonso Lopez (CAG Speed Up), and Joe Roberts (Italtrans Racing Team) rounded up the top five, with Ai Ogura (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia) sixth at 0.947 seconds off the pace. Celestino Vietti (Mooney VR46 Racing Team), who leads Fernandez on a countback at the top of the World Championship, set a 2:06.903 which left him 16th at 1.494 seconds away from the fastest lap.
Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) remains unfit after a training crash in June, but the drama continued at Silverstone with several riders taking a tumble in FP1. Sam Lowes (Elf Marc VDS Racing Team) is off to the medical centre for checks on his left hand/arm after being thrown from his bike in the opening minutes, with others to take a tumble being Lorenzo Dalla Porta (Italtrans Racing Team), Zonta Van Den Goorbergh (RW Racing GP), Rory Skinner (American Racing), and Albert Arenas (GASGAS Aspar Team), all hitting the deck also.
They will be looking to bounce back in FP2 this Friday afternoon. Tune in from 15:10 (GMT +1)!
Moto2™ FP1 Top 10:
1. Jake Dixon (GASGAS Aspar Team) – 2:05.409
2. Augusto Fernandez (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.066
3. Aron Canet (Flexbox HP40) + 0.466
4. Alonso Lopez (CAG Speed Up) + 0.579
5. Joe Roberts (Italtrans Racing Team) + 0.741
6. Ai Ogura (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia) + 0.947
7. Bo Bendsneyder (Pertamina Mandalika SAG Team) + 0.970
8. Barry Baltus (RW Racing GP) + 0.980
9. Tony Arbolino (Elf Marc VDS Racing Team) + 1.091
10. Albert Arenas (GASGAS Aspar Team) + 1.123