Jack Miller’s (Ducati Lenovo Team) 1:30.756 saw the Australian top MotoGP™ FP1 at the CryptoDATA Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich as the premier class were able to get some slick tyre running under their belts at a new-look Red Bull Ring. Johann Zarco (Prima Pramac Racing) and Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) rounded out the top three, both riders over half a second away from Miller’s pace.
Marco Bezzecchi (Mooney VR46 Racing Team) – a three-time winner at the Red Bull Ring – was the first rider to venture out on slick tyres with just over 15 minutes of the session to go. The closing 10 minutes then saw everyone head out on slick tyres and the times were tumbling lap after lap, with this 45-minute stint potentially crucial for the automatic Q2 places.
Miller was immediately the most comfortable and eventually finished FP1 0.618s clear of Zarco, with only the top four riders within a second of the pacesetter – Jorge Martin (Prima Pramac Racing) the last of those, with World Championship leader Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP™) finishing P5.
What will the weather bring for FP2 at 14:10 local time (GMT+2)?
1. Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) – 1:30.756
2. Johann Zarco (Prima Pramac Racing) + 0.618
3. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.820
4. Jorge Martin (Prima Pramac Racing) + 0.860
5. Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP™) + 1.017
6. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 1.119
7. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 1.157
8. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) + 1.185
9. Enea Bastianini (Gresini Racing MotoGP™) + 1.220
10. Andrea Dovizioso (WithU Yamaha RNF MotoGP™ Team) + 1.251