After a hard-fought campaign, Augusto Fernandez has been crowned Moto2™ World Champion following his P2 finish at the Valencia GP. The Red Bull KTM Ajo star defeated title rival Ai Ogura (Idemitsu Honda Team Asia), who crashed out of contention, at Circuit Ricardo Tormo to take glory in the intermediate class, signing off in style as he makes the move to MotoGP™ in 2023. In celebration of the Spaniard, here are some of the key stats behind his career to date!
- Fernandez is the sixth Spanish rider to win the Moto2™ title along with Toni Elias, Marc and Alex Marquez, Pol Espargaro and Tito Rabat.
- He is the ninth different Spanish rider to clinch the title in the intermediate category. Fernandez’ title is also the 12th in the class for Spain and the 57th in Grand Prix racing.
- With seven wins in Moto2™, Fernandez is tied in 13th place on the list of riders with the most wins in the class with Toni Elias.
- Fernandez has stood on the podium nine times this season so far and 20 in Moto2™, one behind Franco Morbidelli and Miguel Oliveira on the list of riders with the most podiums in the class.
- Fernandez is one of the 12 riders (the sixth Spaniard) who has won at least three races in a row in Moto2™.