Aron Canet (Pons Wegwow Los40) put his name well and truly into the mix for victory contention at the Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley as the Spaniard put down a 1:50.796 in Q2, but bad luck hit not long after. He crashed out and headed to the medical centre, and he'll need to be reviewed before the race to get the ok to start. He has a small bone infraction in two fingers, and he'll be determined to be given the green light.
Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) dominated practice and was the favourite going into the session, but fell 0.159s short of his compatriot to start second. Sam Lowes (Elf Marc VDS Racing Team) rounded out the top three for another front row, with teammate and Championship leader Tony Arbolino down in 10th.
With yellow flags affecting the attempts of most riders, no one was able to match Aron Canet!⚠️— MotoGP™???? (@MotoGP) June 10, 2023
As a result, the Spaniard claims pole at Mugello despite crashing out ???? And we're still awaiting an update on him#ItalianGP ???????? pic.twitter.com/lBSzXU5zZB
Joe Roberts (Italtrans Racing Team) bagged P4 to secure the top spot on row two with Filip Salac (QJMOTOR Gresini Moto2™) and Jake Dixon (AutosolarGASGAS Aspar M2) joining the American on row 2. It was looking as if Celestino Vietti (Fantic Racing) was going to take pole in the closing stages, but traffic mid-lap halted the Italian's progress. Vietti will line up in P7 on the grid, fronting row 3 ahead of the MB Conveyors SpeedUp duo of Fermin Aldeguer and Alonso Lopez.
Make sure not to miss any of the Moto2™ action set to commence on Sunday at 12:15 local time (GMT +2).
1. Aron Canet (Pons Wegow Los40) – 1:50.796
2. Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.159
3. Sam Lowes (ELF Marc VDS Racing Team) + 0.162
4. Joe Roberts (Italtrans Racing Team) +0.212
5. Filip Salac (Gresini Racing Moto2™) + 0.230
6. Jake Dixon (GASGAS Aspar Team) + 0.242
7. Celestino Vietti (FANTIC MOTOR) + 0.301
8. Fermin Aldeguer (Speed Up Racing) +0.333
9. Alonso Lopez (Speed Up Racing) + 0.349
10. Tony Arbolino (ELF Marc VDS Racing Team) + 0.449