It’s a Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP 1-2 at the start of the Gran Premio Red Bull de Andalucia as Maverick Viñales leads the way with a 1:37.063, with teammate Valentino Rossi 0.142 off in second. Rookie Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) got his weekend off to a flyer, taking third in FP1 with a 1:37.370.
Viñales’ time was around 0.3 quicker than Marc Marquez’ (Repsol Honda Team) quickest time in FP1 seven days ago, the latter of course not heading out on Friday in Jerez after undergoing surgery on Tuesday. FP1 saw the return of Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) and Team Suzuki Ecstar’s Alex Rins after their crashes and subsequent Spanish GP injuries. The duo were 20th and 21st on the timesheets as they carefully negotiated the morning session.
At the other end of the times, a lot of the riders went into time attack mode in the final five minutes of the opening session of the weekend. Viñales and Rossi emerged quickest as Binder and Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) got the better of Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing), the Spaniard leading most of the session to eventually close out the top five.
It’s looking like another closely contested weekend at the Circuito de Jerez-Angel Nieto, with the top 16 covered by less than a second in FP1. FP2 will see the riders get another feel for what conditions will be like on Sunday, so don’t miss that which comes your way at 14:10 local time (GMT+2).
1. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) – 1:37.063
2. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.142
3. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.307
4. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.353
5. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.379
6. Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Tech 3) + 0.429
7. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) + 0.503
8. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) + 0.529
9. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) + 0.672
10. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) + 0.676
Click here for the full results!