John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) led the way in a treacherous opening Moto3™ Free Practice session at the SHARK Grand Prix de France, the Scotsman setting a 1:53.294 to sit fastest by over half a second. World Championship leader Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) crashed twice at Turn 3 in the session as a whole host of riders went down in the tricky conditions, but the Spaniard slotted into P2 on his final flying lap. Sergio Garcia (Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team) completed the top three in an eventful opening stint of the weekend.
It was the definition of a crash fest in Moto3™ FP1, the Le Mans circuit was damp and slippery on Friday morning – and it caught out a few of the title race leaders. Andrea Migno (Rivacold Snipers Team), Romano Fenati (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) and Darryn Binder (Petronas Sprinta Racing) were just some of the names to crash, all riders were thankfully uninjured as we witnessed 17 crashes in total. Gabriel Rodrigo (Indonesian Racing Gresini Moto3) and Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) rounded out the top five.
Will the weather clear for FP2? Who knows! Tune in at 13:15 local time (GMT+2) to find out.
1. John McPhee (Petronas Sprinta Racing) – 1:53.294
2. Pedro Acosta (Red Bull KTM Ajo) + 0.563
3. Sergio Garcia (Gaviota GASGAS Aspar Team) + 0.596
4. Gabriel Rodrigo (Indonesian Racing Gresini Moto3) + 0.825
5. Tatsuki Suzuki (SIC58 Squadra Corse) + 0.825
6. Andi Izdihar (Honda Team Asia) + 0.925
7. Adrian Fernandez (Sterilgarda Max Racing Team) + 0.956
8. Filip Salac (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 0.958
9. Andrea Migno (Rivacold Snipers Team) + 1.038
10. Yuki Kunii (Honda Team Asia) + 1.162