Austrian GP winner Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) set a 1:24.126 in morning Warm Up at the BMW M Grand Prix of Styria to lead Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) by 0.186 in the 20-minute stint. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) will launch from his first MotoGP™ front row this afternoon, and the Japanese rider was third quickest in Warm Up.
A slightly overcast Red Bull Ring greeted the MotoGP™ riders but after heavy overnight rain, thankfully Warm Up for all three classes was dry. Dovizioso looked in fine form to lead the way, but the Italian has work to do to defend Ducati’s 100% win record in Styria. Dovi will go for victory from eighth on the grid, with Mir and Nakagami both eying maiden MotoGP™ victories from the front row at 14:00 (GMT+2).
Polesitter Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) finished P11 on Sunday morning, 0.632 shy of Dovizioso’s pace. That won’t worry the Spaniard though, he’s looking more than ready to right the wrongs of Czechia and Austria.
Championship leader Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) ran into the Turn 4 gravel trap twice in Warm Up, with teammate Franco Morbidelli also taking a trip through the gravel at the start of the session. Will Quartararo be leading the overall standings in a few hours’ time?
Find out when the premier class roar off the start line for the 900th time. 111 winners have sprayed the bubbly on the top step. Will Pol Espargaro, Mir, Nakagami or someone else make that 112 in Styria? 2pm local time is when we’ll find out.
1. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) – 1:24.126
2. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.186
3. Takaaki Nakagami (LCR Honda Idemitsu) + 0.227
4. Johann Zarco (Esponsorama Racing) + 0.238
5. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.383
6. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) + 0.414
7. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.501
8. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.528
9. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.556
10. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.603
Click here for the full results!